Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Saturday, February 18, 2023

Cynthia's Tula Nova Quilt


Cynthia made this beautiful EPP (English Paper Piecing) quilt from Tula Pink fabric using the Tula Nova pattern. For those who don't know that EPP is, the short answer is she fussy-cut each piece and hand sewed the entire medallion top.


The top was then temporarily glued to the black background which I sewed/secured on my longarm with a stitch close to the edge of the medallion before quilting the entirety.


For the quilting, I used clear MonoPoly thread on the top, and Sterling Glide 60 thread on the back. I stitched-in-the-ditch (SID) around each piece, outlined each striped piece, outlined many of the animals and all the circles, plus putting circles in thinner diamonds.


All pentagons got stars, and the wider diamonds in the outer circle got some dot-to-dot quilting.


In the border she wanted feathers in the shape of hearts. These I echoed around as well as putting stars in each of the corners of this decagon quilt.



I had never quilted with a Minky back before, but I turned out beautifully and you can see the quilting so well with it. 




I learned somethings with this quilt, besides working with Minky. In the future, I would recommend that odd shaped quilts aught to stay rectangular for the quilting and then cut to the proper shape. I didn't think it would be that big a deal, but because there was so much fabric in the center potion with all the piecing and seams and then the black background that as the quilt rolled around the take up bar, the edges didn't have as much tension as the center portion. It also would have made the set up easier (I had to baste and unpick the edges multiple times to get things all straight). But learning is good.

Cynthia bound it with a black and white striped fabric. It looks good and her lucky recipient loved it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment