Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Thursday, March 12, 2015

Scrap Quilt While You Sew Other Projects - Tutorial

I'm all about saving time and money.  When I first heard of chain-piecing, I really latched onto it.  I discovered that not only did it prevent the little bird's nest knot on the underside of the fabric when starting and that it saved thread, (Have you ever noticed how much thread is thrown away as you sew?  You could stuff a doll with it!), but it also kept a whole line of pieces together so I didn't have to get up and down as much as I was sewing.  I could get into my groove and go.

I then learned that if you used a little scrap of fabric - about 1-1.5" wide and sewed over that at the end of the chain, you had all the benefits of chain piecing indefinitely.  Cool.  I was converted to the method.

Then as I was reading a quilting book (Cut the Scraps! by Joan Ford, pg. 35), she mentioned how she always had 2 projects going at once.  The main one and a secondary one that was done over a long period of time.  Here's how it works.
  You are sewing along and come to a place where you need to remove your sewing from the machine.  You reach into your little box of pre-cut pieces and sew a couple together, using these as your holder while you remove your sewing project.  When you begin sewing again, remove the secondary project and put it off to the side.

This first photo is of two scraps I am sewing together to make longer strips. When I have sewn these together, I can remove the black thing behind it that I was sewing.

The second photo is of a little plastic container I use to contain my secondary project.  In this case, I began accumulating 1" strips - things that others were throwing away and I thought, "Surely something can be made from these!"  I think that it's much easier to do this if the secondary project is purely scrappy in design.  You don't want to have to keep two projects in mind and remember which one you are working on.

One inch strips may not be your cup of tea, but choose some scrap project - especially if it's a "grab bag" style, and you can put those scraps to good use. 

What I am doing is sewing 1" x 9" strips together, or if the 1" pieces are smaller than that, I am piecing then together to make longer strips which I then cut down to about 9" strips.  I sew them together, little by little.  When I have 16 strips sewn together, I iron it (I know, I'm waiting until the end), and then trim the square to 8.5" x 8.5."  When I get enough of those squares made, I can make them into a quilt.  I've been working on this for the last 2 years and have 15 squares out of the 80-120 I need to make a full or queen, so it will be a while before I have it complete, but, I love that I can be wasting nothing - no fabric, no thread.
See finished quilt here.


19 comments:

  1. My scrap basket is overflowing so I started cutting my strips last night. I can't wait to see how far I can get today. What a great idea
    Thelma Richards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Good luck. I just posted and linked to the finished quilts tops made with these 1" strips. And I already have more 1" strips. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." the old saying goes. This was definitely the case for me here.

      Delete
    2. Where did you post the link? I didn’t see it in the April blogs.

      Delete
    3. You should be able to click the "here" at the bottom and it would take you there. If that doesn't work, it was posted on the April 19, 2021.

      Delete
  2. I think this is a fantastic idea I think I will start doing this as throw so many small pieces out and waste a lot of cotton to thank you for this so kind of you for sharing kind regards Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know you can always use tiny scraps for stuffing dog beds made out of pillow cases .. stuff them with scraps .. not as fat as a pillow but enough to cushion the pet from cold flooring & give to to vet or animal shelter..

      Delete
  3. So many things to do with scraps! Good luck! Scrap quilts take a lot more time, but it's so fun to see something so useful and pretty made from "trash."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not a quilter but think I can tackle the piecing. But how??? How did you do the black background when all of the blocks were not oriented the same direction and size ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black background is an illusion. I didn't have the black in the original plan, so the blocks above are 8-1/2" square using 16 strips. In the final I took off 3 of those strips, using only 13, then added a slightly larger set of black strips on either side - still making a 8-1/2" unfinished square. Then when the squares are sewn with the strips going vertically, horizontally, vertically, etc. the black on the sides of each block give the illusion of a black background, but it really is part of your block and you're just sewing squares together. I posted a link with instructions on how I finished it in the link at the very end. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! The black sashing makes it all pop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I have just started cutting my scrap fabric into strips which I will sew together and make into squares. So excited to see how it will look when I finally get it finished. Thanks for your ideas 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I'd love to see how it turns out when you are done.

      Delete
  8. This is why I don't throw those extra bits away! I love looking at blocks and think about where I bought the fabric and which project I used it in. Scrap quilts also remind me of great quilts that practically sewed themselves, and ones that took practically took two seam rippers. In my second quilt I am using
    6" flannel blocks to sew the strips on to, scraps from another project.My plan is to make 1 block per week so the quilt that might take a few years but sew far sew good, pun intended. I am sewing the pieces onto flannel squares from an baby shower quilt for extra warmth and stability. Happy sewing everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful idea, i will be try ing it Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea! Would love to see picture of finished quilt, please😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the bottom of the post there was a link to the finished quilt. You could also search for the post on 19 April 2021 if that doesn't work.

      Delete
  11. How are you sew all together?

    ReplyDelete
  12. At the very bottom of the post is a link to the finished quilt. You could also search for the post on 19 April 2021 if that doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete