Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Friday, April 29, 2016

Matching the pattern - Tutorial

Have you ever had to sew two pieces of fabric together in such a way that the pattern matches up so the seam is practically invisible, but was unsure how?  Well, here's how I've found works best for me.

I'm making my son a quilt that matches his baby blanket and have decided to quilt it based on the swirls on the back fabric.  But that means that the backing needs to have the swirls match up or it will be difficult to have the quilting work out.


 Here's what I do:
 1.  Take the two pieces of fabric, A and B.  After laying out the fabric and determining where the pattern matches, trim fabric A on the edge that will match up with the pattern on fabric B, don't trim B yet.  In this case, I'm leaving a half inch seam allowance.  I find it easier to work with in this kind of thing and it can be trimmed at the end, if necessary.  Then fold and iron the seam allowance on side A only.


2. Lay out fabric B on a nice flat surface (floor).  Lay fabric A on top of fabric B where the patterns match up.  Pin as you go, carefully lining up the pattern a few inches at a time.  You can see in the picture that fabric B's seam allowance is too large.  That's OK.  Just match up the pattern.



Below you can see how the pattern matches, looking specifically at the seam allowance on A and matching the pattern with the extra large seam allowance on B.

Note: Unless you find the specific print on the fabric (matching the printing on the selvage edges, etc) the pattern may not match perfectly as you might notice in my case, but for the back of his quilt, this was good enough.

















3. Open up your seam allowance on fabric A and sew carefully along the crease line.



 


4.  Flip it over and check to see that things line up properly.  If there are any areas that need to be unpick and redone, now's the time to do that.
 5. Now its time to trim off the excess seam allowance on fabric B.  Lay the fabrics flat and trim off seam allowance.  I'm left handed so that's why it's set up for a lefty.  If you're right handed, turn the fabric the other direction.

















6. Press seam allowances, for quilt backs, I prefer to press them open.







And there it is.  The seam is where my foot is pointing to it.  Yes, you can see the seam if you look because fabric prints are not all identical, but this will make it so my quilting pattern matches up well enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment