Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Let Me Tell You a Little About Myself

Hmmmm, what to say about myself. . . .I don’t know why it would be hard for me to come up with something, I love to talk.  Ask me a question and I’ll answer it. 

Let’s see, I was born and raised here in Webster. The house I live in is the same one I grew up in which my husband of 18 years and I bought from my parents after they lived there 37 years. I’m the 8th of 12 kids and the mother of 7, 3 girls and 4 boys.  Yes, they keep me on my toes and I have lots of stories to tell, but they are all smart, cute and wonderful in my humble, but correct opinion.  I enjoy scrapbooking, (even attempted to sell it for 9 years, though why it took me that long to realize I was not a salesman, I have no idea), dancing, drawing, painting, stamping, cross stitching, crocheting and have a list of other things I still want to learn, but I don’t seem to have the time to do much of any of those things right now for some reason.

My mother, a phenomenal seamstress, taught me to sew. I made several dresses under her tutelage.  If we didn’t have a pattern for a dress I designed, she showed me how to adjust a pattern we already had to make it. I got my first sewing machine for Christmas just before I turned 16 and when I was a senior I was making costumes for my dance company as a little business.  I took that sewing machine to college with me and made myself clothes. I made my wedding dress, shorts for my husband and me, matching dresses for my baby girl and me.  I couldn’t have lived without it.  Just before my oldest was born, and while I was working with the teenage girls in my church up in Michigan where we lived, those girls and the other leader made a baby blanket for my daughter which I got to help make.  It was a split rail design and I discovered a new love - piecing quilts.  Each of my seven kids has a pieced baby blanket and when they turn 8 (old enough to not drag it around the house), they get a large quilt that matches. I recently learned that I’m 6th generation professional seamstress on my maternal line.  Interesting, though that wasn’t what motivated me to pursue this interest.

I began teaching kids to sew in 2004 (besides teaching my own kids - which doesn’t count), just a class once a year.  Shannon, with Fabric Nosherie, asked me to start teaching kids classes at the shop when she was still preparing to open.  I gradually moved to teaching more and more classes and I LOVED it!!! I loved the teaching, I loved getting to know each of you (even if I can’t put names with faces), I love and miss the ambiance in the store, I miss hanging out with the people that work there, I loved everything about that place!  I considered it a real blessing to teach people this valuable skill.  My fabulous kids, my sister and my wonderful husband have made it possible to spend my time there.  I couldn’t have done it without them.

Hmmm, it wasn’t so hard for me to talk your ear off after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment