Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Friday, May 1, 2015

Easy way to sew in sleeves - Tutorial

I used to follow what the patterns say when I put in sleeves - sew shoulder and side seams, then sew the sleeve in the circular hole.  I found it easier to sew with the bodice under and the sleeve visible to me under the foot.  But then I learned that with the natural easing that the feed dog does, you are always supposed to have the sleeve on the bottom so that it can be eased in properly.  Of course the first sleeve I tried that with was a baby sleeve and I was extremely frustrated and decided my first way was better.

When I was finishing up the cushions for MaryLynne, she told me a trick that I'm forever grateful for.  Today I will share it with you.  This may not work for every sleeve that you ever have to put in, but it will work for most of them.





 1. Sew the shoulder seams but DO NOT sew the side seams up.




 2. Match up the shoulder seam with the center marking on the sleeve.  Pin.





 3. Match notches and pin. 





 4. Gather as directed in the pattern.





 5. Sew from notch to notch.




As you see in the picture to the right, the sleeve is attached except about 2" on either side of the under arm seam.




 6. Match up side seams on both the sleeve and the bodice.  Pin as needed.






 Close up of the pinning.




 7. Sew each side seams, keeping the sleeve and bodice separate as you sew.












 Picture showing that the sleeve seem and the bodice seem are being sewed one after the other, but not attaching them yet.





  8.  Now complete the rest of the seam that is holding the sleeve to the bodice.  This should only be the 2-3" under the arm between the notches.







Picture from a different angle showing step 8.




 9. Now the circle is completed and the seam allowance can be trimmed and finished the way the pattern tells you to.




 All done and the seams match up beautifully and no one will ever know that you sewed most of that flat!  Yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment