Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Friday, November 15, 2013

Donovan's Baby Quilt - Maple Leaves

When I was expecting Donovan, one of my sisters and I decided to make 12 wall hanging quilts each - one for each month.  Neither of us were very experienced with quilt top piecing, but excited to learn.  Our quilts were virtually identical, though there were some fabrics that differed - probably only 2.  Anyway, after making the 12 quilt tops, I felt ready to tackle a baby blanket for Donovan and try something more complicated than Monica's split rail.  Yet, at the same time, I knew my limitations. The Maple Leaf seemed a great way to go.  It's virtually a 9-patch, though some of the squares are made up by triangles.  I could do this. . . and I did.  I was very pleased with the result. One thing that distressed me later was that the fabrics used for the maple leaves did not wear well.  You can see areas where there are holes that look like someone cut the fabric (in the pink and gold). Those just randomly appeared, right along the thread lines.  The fabrics were not cheap either.  I learned that not all fabrics are created equal.  And price does not necessarily mean quality.

When I decided to do large quilts to match the baby blanket, (see Sterling's Baby Quilt entry) the fabrics I had used were no longer available, though I found as close to the originals as I could.  The colors of green and blue I was left to use was a disappointment.  They're nice, and I like them.  I just preferred the brightness of the baby blanket better.  When I quilted the large one, I stitched, not in the ditch, but about a quarter inch from the edge of the leaf.



No comments:

Post a Comment