Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Monday, November 4, 2013

Porter's Baby Quilt - Log Cabin

Each of my children have a pieced, tied, baby blanket that I made for them.  I'm going to post each of them here in the next few days starting with the youngest.  That way when someone scrolls through my blog in a few weeks, they will be able to start at the oldest and see down through the youngest, in the order they were made.  Porter's is a Log Cabin quilt pattern in blues from almost black to almost white.  I always tie my baby's quilts because I remember loving to roll the ties of my own baby blanket between my fingers, and don't want to deprive them of that tactile experience.

When they turn 8, a milestone birthday in our home, they receive a large quilt of the same style and fabrics to put on their bed - I'll explain how I came up with that idea with Sterling's Quilt in a few days. By that point they can leave it on the bed and not drag it around the house. That quilt, I hand quilt - my personal preference.  Porter is not yet 8 so this is the folded quilt top with the backing fabric and binding shown at the top of the photo.  I'll quilt it when we get nearer his 8th birthday.
 There are a couple interesting things about his quilt that I'll share with you.  There were two colors I struggled to find that matched perfectly.  First off, the almost white fabric I could not find any that were light enough. One day when looking, I saw the wrong side of a scrap of fabric that my sister had and thought that would be perfect.  I then went to the store where she had purchased it, but the first bolt of fabric in that color was too dark.  Finally I found another bolt of the same fabric where the wrong side was the perfect color.  The other color I struggled with was the darker medium blue that touches the central block.  It was almost identical in color to the lighter medium color on the other side of the central square.  The solution was to buy a fabric marker and color each piece - a bit of a pain, but worth it in the end.  I love the flow of colors, and although traditionally a log cabin has a red or yellow center, I opted not to because I really wanted the flow of color to be continuous.

No comments:

Post a Comment