Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sterling's Baby Quilt - Birds in the Air

Found out very recently that this quilt pattern was called "Birds in the Air."  I never would have guessed. I always thought it looked like fish, and have also heard Christmas trees and arrow heads which all seem more plausible than birds, but I guess that's the privilege of being the first to name something. Anyway, this is a combination of the fish pattern (sorry, it still looks like fish to me) from one quilt and the bright, vivid rainbow colors on a black background from another.


This quilt was the best for teaching colors.  Since I made this one when I was still expecting Sterling, my 18 month old, Donovan impressed his Parents As Teachers lady with his grasp of all the colors.  I attribute it to not only my son's intelligence, but this blanket as well, for exposing him to the colors in such a obvious way.

I promised I would explain with Sterling's quilt about the idea for having a large quilt that matches the baby blanket.  When I was in the planning stages of Sterling's quilt, thoughts of my own baby blanket and what it meant to me came forcibly to my mind.  I loved my baby blanket to shreds - literally, so that my mother said we needed to throw it away.  I protested so vehemently that she said that if I wanted to keep it, we'd have to recover it.  This, I agreed to.  The exact colors of gingham green and plain pink back were not available which is what I really wanted, but since I couldn't have that, I chose some pastel purple gingham in two sizes of squares to cover it with.  If you hold it up to the light, you can see the tattered remains of my beloved blanket.

Brought to my mind was a time in college when I was feeling particularly lonely and depressed, where I just wanted to snuggle up in my bed with my baby blanket and teddy bear, yet, I was in college and such behavior would have been unacceptable in my mind.  And then an epiphany struck! No one would think much of snuggling under your blanket - a regular sized blanket.  If I made a big quilt, to match their special blanket, that they could then take to college, when they were big, they would have something that would remind them constantly of the love they felt at home and could feel our embrace as they snuggled under it.

So, I planned, not only the baby blanket, but a large blanket as well.  I first thought that they would get the big quilt as a going away present when they went off to college, but then, reasoned I, that there would be no sentimentality attached to the large one, even if it matched. Then came the thought that for their 8th birthday, a special birthday for us since in our faith, that is the age of accountability and therefore old enough to decide to get baptized, they would get the large quilt then. They would also be old enough not to drag it around the house as they did their baby blanket.  And so it began.

Unfortunately, I did not have the fabrics from the two oldest's quilts, so those I did the best I could to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment