Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Friday, December 31, 2021

Jane's Hand Stitched Stars Quilt


Jane V. donated another quilt top. The center section was entirely hand stitched. I don't know if she did it, or if it was a rescue of some sort. But one thing that I've found (when I was making my insulated table runner) was that even when the stitches are small and tight, it still feels like they are not as secure as machine pieced.


I don't know if you can see it, but at intersecting points, they wanted to pull apart in some areas. There was also a lot of play in construction - some areas were smooth and tight when laid flat, whereas other areas poofed a lot more and would need more care in working that in during quilting. Plus, the fabric used for the piecing was very thin/light weight material which also needed watching.


I chose an all over meander that was a medium density to try and secure as much as I could of the top.


The red strip had been sewn on by machine, but was very stretched out. I plan on making a tutorial soon to show how to avoid stretching the borders, since that seems to be a difficulty many experience. I asked my mother to help me out on this one and she took off the red border, measured across the center of the quilt to know what size it should be, and re-sewed it on. She then added the green flowered border to help square up the quilt top (and increase the size).


The yellow sheet I had set aside for the back was a bottom sheet, so there was definitely not enough and I needed to add more. I had the same flowered green set aside for the back, but when I determined how much I needed for the borders, I knew there wouldn't quite be enough for the back. Only about 3-4" short. So I took a strip of red and made a fun little strip in the green. A little wonky, but I like it, and I didn't have to buy fabric for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment