Pricing

Long Arm Quilting/ Sewing or Quilting Lessons / Custom Made Items
I am a long arm quilter with rates starting at $.018/square inch. Most edge to edge designs are $.021/square inch. My prices include set up, thread, needles, etc. I make commissioned quilts with rates at $20/hour.
I also teach Private Sewing Lessons in the St. Louis area. Cost is $50/hour.
Please e-mail me with any questions, to have your quilt top quilted, to set up sewing lessons, or regarding having something custom made, at showmesewing@gmail.com.


Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Quilt Preservation for Jordan


When Jordan's grandma passed away, she was gifted the quilt her grandma made and they had snuggled under at her house. The quilt was well loved and had small tears in old fabric as well as places the seams were separating. She asked me to repair it, originally wanting to patch over the worn fabric and make it useable again. After some thought, she decided she would rather it be preserved the way grandma had made it.


You see in the pictures above and below the types of repairs needed. Holes like the one above was pretty easy with a little hand stitching to fix the separation.


Worn fabric like the one above, took me more time to research the best way to preserve it. I was fortunate that my quilt guild had a guest speaker from the St. Louis Art Museum come to speak to us about textiles and how the museum cares for them. I was able to speak with her and she told me what she would do and how. I followed her directions.


Taking tulle, I cut a piece larger than the area to preserve.


I, then, carefully stitched it down.


After it was all stitched, I trimmed the tulle to slightly larger than the stitched area.


The same kind of thing for the binding. I covered the binding with tulle to prevent further fraying.


Some after photos.



And it is done and ready to return home, where it will be lovingly and carefully displayed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment